Mexico, due to its closeness to the USA, has become a very popular destination. We went there at the end of our road trip in the West Coast of the USA to discover this amazing culture a few months ago! So if you are looking for a recent update of the top things to do in the East Mexico, you found the perfect place!
We were very surprised by the kindness of Mexicans! They are so welcoming, so friendly and always smiling! Mexico is also all about amazing food (not only tacos), culture and stunning temples!
Here is our Top 8 of the best things to do in East Mexico:
1. Visiting Chichen Itzá
One of the Seven Wonders of the World can be visited at about a 2 hours drive from Cancun. Honestly, it is so impressive to see it that it should be on everyone’s top things to do in East Mexico!
2. Jumping in the Cenote Calavera
Cenote are kind of holes in the ground that are connecting rivers between them. You can go to several of them and swim there!
3. Visiting the amazing Tulum Ruins
The Tulum Ruins are the only Mayan site on the banks of the sea which makes it so nice and so different from the other!
4. Wandering in the colorful city of Valladolid
When driving back from Chichen Itzá, a good spot to stop is Valladolid. It’s a very colourful city that reminds us of Cuba. You can easily wander in the city and get the amazing atmosphere.
5. Visiting Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen is a nice city on the beach, where you can take a boat to an island, go shopping, eat some fresh and delicious Mexican food.
6. Exploring the huge Cenote Dos Ojos
Close to Tulum, you will find the cenote Dos Ojos that is composed of three different cenote. What’s also cool? You can relax after your swim on a hammock!!
7. Eating some of the best food of your life
Mexico is famous for its tacos, burritos, and so on. Of course these are so good but in the Coast, you will also be able to test amazing sea food! And of course, don’t forget your cocktails 😉
8. Going snorkeling in Akumal
Akumal is famous because it is a protected area for turtles. You will be able to snorkel among huge turtles and stingrays, it’s an amazing experience!!
- Make sure to be in the site of Chichen Itzá at the opening! We managed to be only 4 people when we visited it and two hours later, it was packed with so many people, you couldn’t feel the amazing vibes of the site!
If you want to snorkel with the turtles in Akumal, when you reach the beach there will be dozens of people trying to sell you the snorkelling experience… Be patient, it is cheaper if you take the company operating on the beach!
- When in Cancún, booking an Airbnb is cheaper and more local than staying in a hotel in the Zona Hotelera. For example, we booked a room in a house, with private access to the beach and we could use kayaks and stand-up paddles for free!
We hope you will enjoy your trip to Mexico!
Marie & Karim
(If you liked this article or have any questions, please comment below! And make sure to follow our adventures on Instagram @InspiringExplorers