Japan has always been very present around us, whether through food, Pokemon, Nintendo or manga culture!
For most of us, it is a dream to travel there and discover this amazing country! However, Japan is so much more than that! There are of course delicious dishes (especially fish dishes), but also wonderful and kind people, a rich culture very different from the one we live in every day! And if you are looking for top things to do while in Japan, you found the right place!
So, here is our Top 10 things to do in Japan:
1. Visiting the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest in Kyoto
We are pretty sure you have already seen this forest on Internet but you really should go there, it is truly magnificent! Right next to it, there is a monkey sanctuary where you can go and look at the monkeys living their best life!
2. Climbing Fushimi Inari-Taisha
This is the name of mountain where you find hundreds of Torii, these traditional red gates. It’s a long way but it is really cool to do!
3. Visiting the golden temple Kinkaku-ji
The golden temple in Kyoto is really a must-see for everyone in the city! It’s built in a big park and the reflection of the temple on the lake is purely a bliss.
4. Eating fresh fish at the Tokyo fish market, Tsukiji
It will be the best fish of your life, period.
6. Exploring the magnificent Nagoya Castle
This huge castle also features several smaller buildings where you will be able to get a better look at the Japanese culture and history!
7. Letting the Potterhead in you go crazy in Hogwarts while visiting Universal Osaka
In the Universal Studios of Osaka, you can experience an Harry Potter kind of rollercoaster in a beautiful replica of Hogwarts! If you love this universe, it will be a dream for you!
8. Chilling in an Onsen
These natural hot springs are a traditional way for Japanese to relax and enjoy the power of nature!
9. Testing matcha in all its forms
Matcha, or green tea, is a Japanese speciality and in its home country, you can enjoy it in all its ways: tea, ice cream, pastries and even Frappuccino!
10. Watching thousands of people crossing Shibuya from the Starbucks or the station
We are pretty sure you have ever seen this world famous crossing but living it live, it’s another experience! So many people but in an order way, that’s what Japan is all about, respect!
- Taking the high-speed train in Japan is a unique experience! I therefore advise you to buy the Japan Rail Pass.
Even if it is expensive at first sight (270$ for 7 days), it is very quickly reimbursed if you are planing to visit several cities in Japan!
- Japanese cuisine is not only about sushi, meat dishes are also delicious!
- Most of the Onsen are nudists, so better be ready to leave your swimming suit at home 🙂
We hope you will enjoy your trip to Japan!
Marie & Karim
(If you liked this article or have any questions, please comment below! And make sure to follow our adventures on Instagram @InspiringExplorers